Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 1: Decaffeinated and more

I may not have mentioned last night that what I foresaw as my biggest challenge during this detox would be kicking caffeine.  It's only 1230 and my head feels like it got hit by a rock.  Urrrrgggh.


UPDATE:
2154


Just finished upchucking after about four hours of stomach discomfort punctuated by intervals of stomach pain.  Some of this was normal discomfort that I've experienced on a somewhat regular basis, but that usually only happens in the morning and DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorince) has always been helpful.  Not today though.


I was so happy to get in bed at 1830 because although I wanted to eat I realized my *body* wanted to sleep.  I stayed up way too late two nights in a row, and then today went cold turkey off the caffeine.  It's not my plan to quit caffeine; I'm already lusting after a cup when this fast is done.  It's just that I don't think I'm giving my liver or the rest of my organs a break if I use caffeine while fasting.  


Anyway, I couldn't stay in bed because my upper back and stomach were in too much discomfort and things went rather downhill from there.  My partner suggested Pepto and I said I didn't want to put something in my body to plug it up when I'm trying to detox it, but a few hours later I broke down and tried it.  I couldn't find a comfortable position, and all the burping in the world didn't make the discomfort go away.  It was getting worse and I was starting to get a little panicky that this might be an all-night thing.


Tack the caffeine withdrawal headache on and understand how much I wanted to get into bed and sleep so I could get a break from the headache, yet lying down made the stomach thing unbearable.  I was also having intermittent chills and considering whether I had actually washed all the fruits and vegetables I ate today...


Mind you, this is exactly how I spent my 40th birthday also.  Woke up in the wee hours with stomach pain and some hours later ended up with my head in the toilet.  I cannot believe I've puked again already.  I am not sure I even threw up once in 2009, maybe not even in 2008, yet twice in four months in 2010 with very similar accompanying symptoms.  Further illustration that I needed to reboot, I guess.


What's different than my birthday is that this time I felt some immediate relief from throwing up.  The headache backed off by about 60% - and I mean immediately.  Before I even stopped shaking and got off the bathroom floor, the headache was retreating.  Stomach is not okay, but considerably better than before and I don't feel nausea anymore.  I'm going to try going to bed again here in a few minutes.


Wheee!  I was completed blindsided by whatever is happening here.  I fully expected the headache.   I didn't anticipate debilitating stomach issues from one day of only eating raw fruits and veggies.  I didn't expect any issues, really, on the digestive side; I expected to run into some unpleasant symptoms a few days into this, once we're only drinking juices; effects of detox.


It seems more likely that I just didn't wash something that I ate and I picked up some nasty bacteria.  Hopefully I'll see some improvement.  If not, tomorrow's going to be epic.  I've got long jobs that will keep me away from the house most of the day, so I have to keep it together!


I may be underestimating how bad detox may feel, also.  Since I've been vegan for a little over 3 years now and I do eat fruits and vegetables daily, and don't use processed faux meats all the time, I figured I wouldn't be in too much pain.  I believe I figured the people who get the really evil symptoms during a fast are those who have a bunch of rotting animal flesh in their intestines and growth hormones in their fat stores.  It may not be that simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment