Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 6: First food

1530:  Today we began breaking the fast.  I had a banana and a vegetable juice in the morning, then some salad around 1100.  I had the rest of the salad around 1400 and then I drank my first cup of coffee.  I was going to wait another day or two to try coffee, but between my neighbors ( :-( ) and our cats I didn't get much sleep last night.  Eating seemed to make me sleepy and I really struggled during my 1130 (against sleepiness) so I decided to go ahead and see how it went with coffee.  It sure tasted good.  I savored it.  Now an hour later I don't feel wired, but I do feel full.  I ate so little compared to how I had been eating prior to the fast.  I hope that although we will be adding more foods back in - beans, tofu, grains - that I'll continue with the smaller portions. 

Another reason for the coffee was that, oddly enough, today I had a headache.  It didn't start until mid-morning.  Strange that I got a headache the day I started eating solid food?  Since it was also the first day during the detox that I didn't get enough sleep, I don't really know what to attribute it to, but it's gone away since I drank the coffee...

Looking forward to that raw soup this evening.  I looooove avocados!



UPDATE 2220:  I just went through the food I ate today and tracked it on Spark People.  I'm shocked at the fact that I was full on less than 800 calories today.  Apart from getting hungry between breakfast and the 1100 salad, I wasn't hungry all day.  I ate more or less 5 times today - I think that's part of it.

Of course, I'll be adding some protein foods in and likely some grains, so the calories will not stay so low; however if I can keep up with the small portion sizes maybe I can continue to feel great and also lose weight.  My body really needs me to take off some of the weight so it isn't under so much pressure.  I've lost all but 6 pounds of what I gained back after my great health streak in 2007, and I feel really good now.

The Raw Vegan Kale Ginger Soup was amazing!  I had half of it tonight and found that I was full, but craving more because it was good.  I put the rest in the refrigerator for tomorrow.  I can take it with me since I'll be gone all day.  

Red alert:  I don't have a plan for dinner tomorrow night.  It's time to add some new foods.  Edamame?  Brown rice?  Quinoa?  I'm thinking steamed veggies with edamame and maybe some brown rice for the man.  Not sure if I want to eat rice so soon.  Will try to listen to my body tomorrow, but to get past the taste buds and to my stomach and my wellbeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment