Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day 7: We made it!

NOTE: Discouraged that I wrote this last night but somehow didn't post it...


UPDATE:  1845:  I made a cabbage dish from a Vegetarian Times cookbook.  It was great and complemented the black beans and brown rice nicely.  I like to put nutritional yeast on my beans and/or rice.  Then I don't use salt and it livens up the flavor.  I had a half cup of rice, a cup of beans, and one serving of the cabbage.  I felt full when I finished the plate.  I think the rice kicked up the craving to overeat because I can feel myself thinking about going back for more, and my mind is saying "but you have plenty of calories left in your plan for today" - and that's true - but I need to struggle against eating for the sake of eating.  The more I overeat the more my stomach expects it and my brain thinks it's okay.  One meal at a time.  It's good to know I could eat this meal tomorrow for lunch.  I definitely feel the difference today having eaten about double the protein I ate yesterday or any day in the past eight.  It's a good difference.  It's been a good week so far.  I've really gotten a lot done and have been on a more even keel.  Also, I don't seem to be fighting going to bed this week, which is normally a big issue.

Sunday we are going camping.  Just for one night, but I really need to put some thought into the food that we bring.  Last time, we brought sandwiches with vegan lunch slices, and vegan brats, and nuts, corn, and IDK what else.  We ate a lot.  I really don't want to get into the processed vegan food habit again.  So I need to dedicate some time tomorrow to think about it and be ready to make some food ahead of time on Saturday.  It will be a test of my dedication to our rebooted eating habits!


1430:  Yikes, I can't believe I didn't get a chance to write yesterday.  Probably because I was so full of energy that I was busy doing lots of stuff around the house.  I can't believe how great I felt yesterday (and I feel great today too).  Yesterday I brought plentiful small quantities of food with me and ate small amounts throughout the day between appointments.  I didn't let myself get ravenously hungry, and I didn't stuff myself when I ate.  When I looked at my caloric intake at the end of the day, and my nutrient intake, I was shocked that I had felt just fine with such a great carb/protein/fat ratio and low calories.


Last night we had Israeli couscous with steamed zucchini and yellow squash, spritzed with Bragg, with edamame and sunflower seeds.  I served a very small amount of the couscous and quite a lot of vegetables.  I was full after only half of what I served myself and I put it away in the fridge before food addiction told me to eat the rest.  My partner did the same.  


Today my partner offered to make me a cup of coffee in the morning and I couldn't resist.  However, after less than half a cup, I began to feel extremely dizzy.  I didn't drink anymore .  I had eaten only a banana, so I got the rest of the edamame to see if some protein would help.  After a little while I juiced some carrots with parsley and during all this time drank water.  The dizziness went away.  The caffeine didn't affect me adversely the other day, maybe because I was sleep-deprived and responded to it, but it didn't go well today!


Tonight we're having black beans and I'm not sure what else, unfortunately. I think my partner is dying for some rice, so I may make some brown rice and eat just a little bit.  I think it's time that we ramp our protein back up, so I'll plan to make the beans the heart of the meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment